Allergy Alert – Sabrina’s Law

There are a number of students at Lawrence Park who are allergic to a variety of substances. Parents and students are required to notify the main office if they have specific medical or allergy concerns. Parents are responsible for notifying the school about the location of their child’s allergy medication while at school. We recognize that it is impossible to remove all possible allergens from a building, but we would like to take some meaningful steps to reduce the discomfort (and sometimes-deadly danger) to some of our students who suffer from very specific allergic reactions. We are making the request that all students, staff and parents cooperate in the elimination of peanuts and peanut products from out school. Peanut allergies can be very dangerous, in extreme cases resulting in anaphylactic shock. Similarly, we ask that you refrain from wearing perfume or other products that emit a strong odour (e.g. aftershave and cologne). Allergies to perfume are often less dramatic but very real causes of headaches and the inability to concentrate. We know that many of you have come from elementary schools where some of these practices have been in place for a long time. It is often assumed (falsely) that teenagers are more likely to manage on their own and are able to navigate their way around potential danger. We ask that you work with us in creating a safer, more pleasant and less stressful work environment for our students by following this request. Thank You.